Dae Young Kim was born and brought up in Korea. While teaching English as a foreign language, he was always interested in the fascinating world of interpreting and translating. Having started translating books in 1989, he is actively involved in professional translating for a wide range of readership.
Since he moved to Australia in 1997, he has continued to teach English as a second language at high schools until 2005. That was when he started teaching interpreting at universities. He then took on classes on translating at TAFE NSW, a state government-run tertiary vocational training body. He is currently teaching both interpreting and translating subjects to Masters students at UNSW and an interpreting course at Meadowbank TAFE.
He is also working for both the state and federal government translating and interpreting agencies as well as key private agencies. He is actively practising as a freelance interpreter and translator.
Due to his professional career in teaching English as a second language and interpreting/translating combined with interpreting/translating experience on the field, he is interested in looking at how interpreting theories and practice interact to produce most satisfying communicative interactions in the context of community interpreting.
Dae Young Kim is dedicated to quality teaching which is regularly challenged and enhanced by his on-going practice as interpreter and translator. He views his research as crucial to combining his teaching with practice and it is his duty-bound dedication to studies that translates his research into outcomes that bring tangible and direct benefits to the community.
- Master of Research Candidate Western Sydney University
- M.Ed (TESOL) University of Sydney
- NAATI Professional Interpreter (Korean and English)
- NAATI Professional Translator (Korean and English)
- ESL teacher and department head of Sydney-based high schools from 2004 to 2010
- Seoul Metropolitan Council’s visit to NSW Parliament (Senate Chairman & House Speaker included), 6 May 2016 (Consecutive)
- Conference interpreting for 2016 ISIS Pharmaceutical Investigator meeting, Sydney Hilton Hotel, 29-30 January 2016 (Simultaneous interpreting)
- Conference interpreting for 2015 GSK Masterclass (medical conference), Darling Harbour, 13 November 2015 (Simultaneous)
- Conference interpreting for Symantec media release, Sydney 3 December 2014 (Simultaneous)
- Conference interpreting for Gilead, an international pharmaceutical company for investigators in Sydney on 28 June 2013 (Simultaneous interpreting)
- Conference interpreting for US Pacific Command at Chiefs of Defence Conference in Sydney from 6 to 8 November 2012. (Simultaneous interpreting)
- 4-day trial, Top Pro v. Ki Hyun Kwon (Civil litigation), NSW Supreme Court, 28-31 July 2015
- A 3-week trial, R v. Chung (Murder trial), NSW Supreme Court, September 2012